Following the aftercare given to you by your artist is an important factor in your healing process. Please feel free to contact us or stop in if you have any questions about healing your new tattoo.
1. Remove your bandage after a few hours. Many artists will recommend leaving your bandage on overnight to prevent sticking to clothing and sheets. Wash your tattoo with warm water and liquid soap. Gently dry your tattoo. There is no need to rebandage.
2. Apply a thin layer of fragrance-free plain hand lotion like Lubriderm or Aquaphor 2-3 times a day. Lotions should be used very sparingly and should absorb within a few moments. If there is lotion sitting on your tattoo, you have applied too much and can gently blot to excess with a paper towel.
3. In 2-3 days, your tattoo will begin to flake or scab. Do not pick at your new tattoo. Do not submerge your tattoo in pools, baths, hot tubs, or other bodies of water.
4. Keep your new tattoo clean. Showering is okay and always wash your hands before touching.
5. Do not expose your tattoo to direct sunlight or tanning bed.
Overall, the healthier you are, the faster you will heal. Drink plenty of water!
Some of our artists will provide you with a Tegaderm (also known as Saniderm or Tattooderm) bandage. This method of healing is a little different, so it's important to follow these steps.
Tegaderm is a sterile, breathable, waterproof, germ-proof barrier to protect your new tattoo. Tegaderm will protect your tattoo from contamination and will also protect your clothes and sheets from excess ink, blood and fluid that are the normal by-products of healing a tattoo.You can shower normally while healing, but please still abstain from swimming or submerging your tattoo in bodies of water.
1. Your artist will bandage your new tattoo with Tegaderm. He will provide you with a second bandage. Leave the original bandage on overnight.
2. Remove your bandage slowly and carefully the next morning. Discard this Tegaderm. Wash your tattoo with warm water and liquid soap. Gently dry your tattoo.
3. Re-cover your tattoo with the second Tegaderm bandage. Leave this one for 3-4 days.
4. When removing the second bandage, clean thoroughly again with a liquid hand soap and warm water. You can use a fragrance free lotion on your tattoo for the next few days.